Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to Heal a Hurt Heart


There are so many reasons why our hearts hurt. Maybe someone said something, did something, didn't do something. Maybe they don't even know that they hurt you. Maybe something happened and its circumstantial or situational. Maybe your past keeps knocking on the door and reminds you of things that hurt you before...maybe  you just woke up and your heart hurt and you don't really know why.

I think we all have days, phases, times in our life when our heart hurts. Sometimes for moments, sometimes for long periods of time and some times its just a lot deeper than others. 
Being "sensitive", I've had my share of heart hurting moments...so I thought I'd share some things I do to try to get myself to feel better. Hopefully it helps you too!

Pray this is the first thing I do. I always ask God to help my heart heal. Since it always seems so out of my control anyways, I figure I should ask help from someone who has control

Breathe take some loooooonnnng deeeeeeep breathes. Seriously, I often feel like my chest is tight and I can't breathe. The simple act of consciously taking deep breathes actually helps. And maybe the oxygen to the brain will help you think more clearly.

Timeout put yourself in timeout. If you need a minute, take it. Go for a walk, a run, a drive, sit on a log at the beach. sit at the park and give yourself some space.

Perspective remind yourself that you are having a bad day...and just because you are having a bad day doesn't mean you have a bad life. Its so easy to throw everything into one pit and think that EVERYTHING sucks... everything does NOT suck... which brings me to the next thing...

Gratitude remind yourself of things that you are thankful for. Whether it be big or small. Having a thankful heart really changes your mood.

Forgive easier said than done... I know. Forgiveness isn't always a one time thing. Sometimes forgiving means choosing to forgive over and over and over.... Letting go of your right to be mad, even if you are right, is really freeing. I love the quote "forgive not because they deserve it, but because you deserve to live in peace"

Give some away I always have that childhood song in my head "love is something if you give it away.. you end up having more". When you give love, your heart fills with love too. BUT you have to allow it to be filled. Sometimes we don't allow love in because we are stubborn, hurt or mad...but let your heart be filled. sounds cheesy, but I'm serious!

Music there is something about music that is healing. I often put on worship music and all of a sudden I feel my heart healing. So if there is music that helps you, blast that baby!

Write write it down girl! sometimes we don't even know what we are feeling. So writing it down can be really cleansing and help you sort out all of your feelings... 

Time give yourself time. I don't know if time heals all wounds, but I do know that sometimes you have to allow yourself to feel....just know when time is up :)

friends surround yourself around those you love and that love you. Its amazing what an encouraging word, a gently hug or a piece of cake with good company can do.

Hope all of you have less times where you heart needs healing and more days filled with joy.
love you all!

1 comment:

  1. My past has reared it's ugly head and been around for the last few week, which has caused me to be a little more depressed and I've been hating everyone and everything. Thank you for this post.. reading it has made me realize that I am forgetting what is most important.

    ReplyDelete